What is Diagnostic Medical Sonography?
Diagnostic Medical Sonography, also known as Ultrasound, is a diagnostic process that creates images of the structures inside the human body. This images are then evaluated and used by the physician to make a medical diagnosis. The process involves placing a device called a transducer on a patient’s skin near the area to be scanned. The transducer sends a stream of high frequency sound waves into the patient’s body and the affected area that bounce off the internal structures. A computer analyzes these sounds to form an image for the radiologist to interpret the pathology. Unlike X-ray, Sonography is a radiation-free imaging modality.
Our DMS program is an eighteen (18) month Associate of Applied Science Degree program designed to prepare students for entry-level employment as a Sonographer. Consisting of both on-campus and online classes, the DMS program is designed to offer you the flexibility of online classes while still focusing on the benefit of hands-on training in our on-campus labs.
Students will receive training from qualified and experienced instructors in a classroom setting, modern on-campus laboratories, and also an offsite clinical externship!
- Medical and Sonography Terminology
- Human gross and sectional anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology
- Acoustical Physics, Doppler Ultrasound principles, and ultrasound instrumentation
- Sonographic appearances of the normal and abnormal neck, non-cardiac chest, breasts, abdominal organs, and peripheral vessels
- Sonographic appearance of the normal and abnormal female pelvis
- Sonographic appearance of the maternal, embryonic and fetal anatomy during all trimesters
- Performing Sonographic studies of the abdomen, superficial structures, non-cardiac chest, gravid and non-gravid pelvis
- Sonographic studies and gross anatomy of the venous and arterial systems of the upper and lower limbs, carotid artery, and hemodynamic flow concepts
- Issues in health care and safety
Contact Us Today
ATA College is an accredited academic institution committed to helping students realize their full potential in the allied health field. We’re excited that you’re thinking about your education, and we’re happy to tell you that ATA College can help get you exactly where you want to be in your career. If you are interested in enrolling at ATA College contact us today!